The Queensland First Home Owner Grant also known as ‘FHOG’ is a State Government initiative available to first home buyers when purchasing their first home in Queensland.
To help make it easier for first home buyers to enter the property market, eligible buyers can now access a grant of $15,000 towards their first home purchase. We’ve outlined some important information about the first home grant below.
What is the QLD FHOG amount?
As of July 1st 2018, the current FHOG amount is $15,000 towards buying or building your new house, unit or townhouse (valued at less than $750,000).
If you’d like to access the Government First Home Owners’ Grant, then there’s a few things to keep in mind to ensure you’re eligible. We’ve outlined the eligibility criteria listed on the Queensland Government website below:
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
- You must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.
- You must be buying or building a brand new home.
- You must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months.
The Queensland Government website provides a free eligibility test to help determine if you can access the First Home Owners’ Grant. See if you qualify here.
How to apply for the FHOG.
There are two ways to submit an application for the Queensland First Home Owners’ Grant:
- through an approved bank or lending institution
- with the Office of State Revenue.
If you need the grant funds for settlement or want to receive it as soon as possible, it is best to apply through an approved bank or lender. The state government website contains detailed information on
Can I use it towards my deposit?
Many lenders will now consider the First Home Owner Grant as part of your initial deposit when buying a brand new home. This has enabled us to be able to offer a low deposit home loan option..
With the QLD FHOG and Deposit Assistance Solution we can help first home buyers into the property market with as little as $2,000.
The state government website contains detailed information on the QLD First Home Owners Grant. You can find it here.
Talk to us today and make your dream home a reality.